Linguascope is committed to protecting your privacy and we comply fully with UK and EU data protection law (GDPR). We have put in place physical, electronic and operational procedures intended to safeguard and secure the information we collect. All Linguascope staff have a legal duty to respect the confidentiality of your information, and access to your personal details is restricted only to those who have a reasonable need to access it.
When using the Linguascope website, if the URL of a web page starts with HTTPS, or you see a locked/green padlock symbol, your data is encrypted when it is sent from your computer to our server.
Information we may hold about you
When you subscribe to Linguascope, the information we hold about you includes the following:
- contact name, school name, address and email address
- details regarding your subscription such as your login details and the expiry date
We will only keep your personal information for as long as is necessary and in accordance with UK law.
Note that Linguascope does not collect or store any personal information about students using the website.
How we may use your information
We use your personal information to provide you with our services, and to improve and extend our services. This may include:
- providing you with information, products or services that you requested from us
- sending subscription renewal information
- sending service-related information
- sending promotional material about new products, special offers, events or other information we think you may find interesting
- contacting you to give you an opportunity to complete a customer satisfaction survey
- disclosing your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation
If, after opting in, you no longer wish to receive marketing information about our products and services by post, please contact Linguascope. To stop receiving information by email, simply click on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any of our newsletters. Note that, by doing so, you may miss important service updates and notifications about special offers and free products/events.
Where your personal information is stored
No personal data is stored online (with the exception of our online shop – cf. below). Our customer database and its backup are stored on a local server located at our UK office in London. Access to the encrypted data is password-protected and restricted to authorised personel.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we will respond to you within one month.
Please contact us if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can contact us to request more information or make a complaint.
If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request or complaint, you can contact the ICO.
The ICO’s address is:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk
Our online shop
Our online shop is hosted on Shopify Inc. They provide us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you. Your data is stored through Shopify’s data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
When you browse our online shop, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
If you choose a direct payment gateway to complete your purchase, then Shopify stores your credit card data. It is encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction. After that is complete, your purchase transaction information is deleted.
All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers.
Linguascope does not share personal information with third parties. We may however disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.
A cookie, also known as a browser cookie, is a text file containing small amounts of information which a server may download to your computer or device when you visit a website or use an app. The purpose of cookies is to let you navigate between different pages on the website efficiently, remembering preferences you have given (e.g. language selection). Cookies are also used to measure the number of site visits and the most popular pages users visit. The cookies that Linguascope uses do not collect personal information such as name, address, email address and do not link any information they collect to an individual.
We may review and update this notice to comply with the latest legislation. The up-to-date copy of this policy can be found on this web page.
Updating your details